go to top
Antonio Garcia, a negotiator for the National Liberation Front, a Colombian rebel group, left, and Israel Ramirez Pineda, the group’s commander, at a press conference, Caracas, Venezuela, March 30, 2016 (AP photo by Ariana Cubillos).

‘People Are Tired of War, Including Us’—A Rare Interview With Colombia’s ELN Commander

Wednesday, May 8, 2019

HAVANA, Cuba—A judge in Colombia last week ordered President Ivan Duque to notify the United Nations Security Council about the progress made in peace talks with guerrillas from the National Liberation Army, or ELN, which the government ended earlier this year in the wake of an ELN bombing. The ruling came after two senior Colombian politicians had sued Duque, claiming that he had neglected to inform the U.N. and the guarantor countries—Venezuela, Cuba, Chile, Brazil and Norway—about the state of the negotiations. The judge said that Duque had failed to “give substantive explanations or reasons” for suspending the talks.

The court decision, announced May 3, is a major setback for Duque, who came into office last summer as a staunch critic of both the historic 2016 peace deal with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, known as the FARC, and the negotiations with the ELN, Colombia’s largest remaining guerrilla group. After he took office, Duque said he would not engage in negotiations with the ELN until they released all their hostages, a demand the guerrillas rejected. The talks ended indefinitely in January, when the ELN planted a car bomb at a school for police cadets in Bogota, killing 22 people and injuring more than 60. ...

Want to Read the Rest?
Login or Subscribe Today.
Get unlimited access to must-read news, analysis and opinion from top experts. Subscribe to World Politics Review and you'll receive instant access to 9,000+ articles in the World Politics Review Library, along with new comprehensive analysis every weekday . . . written by leading topic experts.

YES, I want to subscribe now.