In January, France began military operations to wrest northern Mali from the control of Islamist militants and prevent them from taking over the rest of the country. In an email interview, Rachel Utley, an expert on French defense and security policies at the University of Leeds, discussed France’s broader military posture in the Sahel region of North Africa.
WPR: What are France's overall military capabilities in the Sahel, and where are its regional bases? ...
To read the rest, sign up to try World Politics Review
- TWO WEEKS FREE.
- Cancel any time.
- After two weeks, just $18 monthly or $118/year.
Request a free trial for your office or school. Everyone at a given site can get access through our institutional subscriptions.
- The Realist Prism: Obama Must Choose What Comes Next for U.S.-Russia
- World Citizen: Russia’s Oil and Gas Are Weapons and Weakness in Ukraine Fight
- Strategic Horizons: Russia’s Ukraine Invasion Signifies a Changing Global Order
- U.K.’s Growing Engagement in Latin America Faces Risks and Competition
- Global Insights: Russia Gambling That Ukraine Crisis Can Revert to Familiar Script