African Union countries are currently deadlocked over whether to keep or replace the current African Union chairman, Jean Ping, whose term has been temporarily extended. In an email interview, Solomon Dersso, a senior researcher in the Peace and Security Council Report Program at the Institute for Security Studies, discussed the African Union’s leadership contest.
WPR: What are the main functions, both institutional and symbolic, of the African Union commission chairmanship? ...
To read the rest, sign up to try World Politics Review
- TWO WEEKS FREE.
- Cancel any time.
- After two weeks, just $11.99 monthly or $94.99/year.
Request a free trial for your office or school. Everyone at a given site can get access through our institutional subscriptions.
- Diplomatic Fallout: To Address Migrant Crisis, Europe Must Boost Security in Near Abroad
- Zambia’s Presidential Carousel Spins as Rivals Jockey to Succeed Sata
- Zimbabwe Infighting Opens Mugabe Succession Battle
- Diplomatic Fallout: Global Trends Point to Fragmentation of International Crisis Management
- Oil Shocks Hit Nigeria—and Threaten Jonathan’s Re-election