Honduras is the homicide capital of the world (.pdf). This is due in part to widespread and growing gang violence, but recently there have been reports that Honduran police themselves are organizing death squads.
“Organized crime linked to drug trafficking is rampant, and it would appear that the Honduran police and judiciary are not just ineffective in addressing the problem, they are actually making it worse,” Alexander Main, senior associate for international policy at the Center for Economic and Policy Research, told Trend Lines in an email interview. ...
To read the rest, sign up to try World Politics Review
Sign up for two weeks of free access with your credit card. Cancel any time during the free trial and you will be charged nothing.
Request a free trial for your office or school. Everyone at a given site can get access through our institutional subscriptions.
- Strategic Horizons: After Libya Failure, New Thinking Needed for Removing Dictators
- Armed and Ready: The Pentagon’s Assertive New Cyber Strategy
- The Realist Prism: As Stakes Rise, Muddling Through No Longer Viable Option for U.S.
- Global Insights: New Technologies Complicate U.S.-Russia-China Arms Control
- After Kirchner: Will Argentina Seize Chance to Correct Course?