Honduras is the homicide capital of the world (.pdf). This is due in part to widespread and growing gang violence, but recently there have been reports that Honduran police themselves are organizing death squads.
“Organized crime linked to drug trafficking is rampant, and it would appear that the Honduran police and judiciary are not just ineffective in addressing the problem, they are actually making it worse,” Alexander Main, senior associate for international policy at the Center for Economic and Policy Research, told Trend Lines in an email interview. ...
To read the rest, sign up to try World Politics Review
- TWO WEEKS FREE.
- Cancel any time.
- After two weeks, just $11.99 monthly or $94.99/year.
Request a free trial for your office or school. Everyone at a given site can get access through our institutional subscriptions.
- World Citizen: Brazil Plane Crash Spawns Two-Woman Presidential Race
- How Latin America Can Maximize its Shale Gas Potential
- Chile’s Bachelet Tacks Center to Pursue Needed Reform at Home
- Diplomatic Fallout: Lacking Primetime Partners, U.S. Remains ‘Indispensable’ Crisis Manager
- Mexico’s Scaled-Backed Gendarmerie Force No Security Panacea