Elba Esther Gordillo, the leader of the most powerful teachers union in Mexico, was arrested earlier this week on suspicion of embezzling millions in union funds for personal expenses, including paying for private property and plastic surgery.
The arrest of the Gordillo, known throughout Mexico simply as “La Maestra,” or “The Teacher” and previously seen as being above the law, came a day after Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto signed a sweeping educational reform that the union she led had opposed. ...
To read the rest, sign up to try World Politics Review
- TWO WEEKS FREE.
- Cancel any time.
- After two weeks, just $18 monthly or $118/year.
Request a free trial for your office or school. Everyone at a given site can get access through our institutional subscriptions.
- Local Marijuana Legalization in U.S., Mexico May Impact Hemisphere-Wide Policy
- The Realist Prism: Obama Must Choose What Comes Next for U.S.-Russia
- Strategic Horizons: Russia’s Ukraine Invasion Signifies a Changing Global Order
- U.K.’s Growing Engagement in Latin America Faces Risks and Competition
- Global Insights: Russia Gambling That Ukraine Crisis Can Revert to Familiar Script