Elba Esther Gordillo, the leader of the most powerful teachers union in Mexico, was arrested earlier this week on suspicion of embezzling millions in union funds for personal expenses, including paying for private property and plastic surgery.
The arrest of the Gordillo, known throughout Mexico simply as “La Maestra,” or “The Teacher” and previously seen as being above the law, came a day after Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto signed a sweeping educational reform that the union she led had opposed. ...
To read the rest, sign up to try World Politics Review
Sign up for two weeks of free access with your credit card. Cancel any time during the free trial and you will be charged nothing.
Request a free trial for your office or school. Everyone at a given site can get access through our institutional subscriptions.
- Can Mexico’s Pena Nieto Walk the Walk Against Corruption?
- World Citizen: Netanyahu’s Speech Divides Washington—and Israel
- The Realist Prism: U.S.-Iran Deal a Gamble for Everyone, Including Netanyahu
- Global Insights: As China Ponders BMD Options, U.S. Must Consider Responses
- After Years of Talk, U.S.-India Defense Ties Gain Traction