Elba Esther Gordillo, the leader of the most powerful teachers union in Mexico, was arrested earlier this week on suspicion of embezzling millions in union funds for personal expenses, including paying for private property and plastic surgery.
The arrest of the Gordillo, known throughout Mexico simply as “La Maestra,” or “The Teacher” and previously seen as being above the law, came a day after Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto signed a sweeping educational reform that the union she led had opposed. ...
To read the rest, sign up to try World Politics Review
- TWO WEEKS FREE.
- Cancel any time.
- After two weeks, just $18 monthly or $118/year.
Request a free trial for your office or school. Everyone at a given site can get access through our institutional subscriptions.
- Strategic Horizons: For U.S. in Afghanistan, Zero Option Not So Bad After All
- Strategic Horizons: To Succeed, Iran Deal Needs a Dose of Realism
- Iran Nuclear Deal a Welcome First Step
- The Realist Prism: Will Congress Handcuff Obama on Iran, TPP Talks?
- Policy Debate Over Drone Strikes Muddied by Competing Data