Earlier this month, the Japanese Defense Ministry said two Russian fighter jets had violated its airspace, roughly a month after Japan announced a similar violation by China. In an email interview, Richard Bitzinger, an expert in Asia-Pacific military modernization at Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University, discussed the state of the Japanese Air Self-Defense Forces and Japan’s response to regional tensions.
WPR: What is the current state of the Japanese Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF)? ...
To read the rest, sign up to try World Politics Review
Sign up for two weeks of free access with your credit card. Cancel any time during the free trial and you will be charged nothing.
Request a free trial for your office or school. Everyone at a given site can get access through our institutional subscriptions.
- Global Insights: As China Ponders BMD Options, U.S. Must Consider Responses
- Fishing Wars: China’s Aggression Could Stoke Future Conflict
- North Korea’s Economic Reforms Constrained by Geopolitical Isolation
- World Citizen: China’s New Latin America Ties Are Strategic, Not Just Economic
- The Realist Prism: Fresh Off Obama’s India Trip, China’s Xi Courts Modi