Earlier this month, the Japanese Defense Ministry said two Russian fighter jets had violated its airspace, roughly a month after Japan announced a similar violation by China. In an email interview, Richard Bitzinger, an expert in Asia-Pacific military modernization at Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University, discussed the state of the Japanese Air Self-Defense Forces and Japan’s response to regional tensions.
WPR: What is the current state of the Japanese Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF)? ...
To read the rest, sign up to try World Politics Review
- TWO WEEKS FREE.
- Cancel any time.
- After two weeks, just $18 monthly or $118/year.
Request a free trial for your office or school. Everyone at a given site can get access through our institutional subscriptions.
- Market Access at Issue as India, South Korea Move to Expand Ties
- Abe’s Visit Demonstrates Japan’s Multilayered Approach to Africa
- As Britain Turns to Asia, Questions of Sustainability, Balance Linger
- China Seeks Balance Between Managing Debt Risk and Maintaining Growth
- Global Insights: To Protect Interests, China Must Upgrade Afghanistan Policy